Health Department celebrating 100 years of public health - The Daily Jeffersonian

The Cambridge-Guernsey County Health Department celebrates the 2019 National Public Health Week with 100 years of public health.

National Public Health Week is April 1-7 and health officials said, "We want to highlight the history of public health and success stories from our clients. Over the years, public health has grown with the needs of our population. Today, our agency holds a mission to improve quality of life for Guernsey County by promoting health, preventing disease, and assuring a safe environment.

"In order to deliver the best services to our community, we hold values of respect, compassion, equality, confidentiality, and teamwork. Our mission and values are not that different from those held 100 years ago, but services today look a little different."

In 1948, an environmental health sanitarian would regularly inspect dairy farms and collect milk samples. This process was conducted in order to prevent contaminated milk reaching the public. Polio and Tuberculosis were of major concern for the communities of past and present years. Education and regular vaccinations are key in preventing the return of life threatening diseases.

Health department officials said they wanted to share the success of the present day services with help from the clients that have been served.

Women, Infants & Children

One WIC participant wrote, "I want to thank the staff at the WIC office. You ladies are awesome and very helpful. I’ve been coming to the office for about five years now and never had a bad experience or a disappointment. When I was pregnant with my child, I decided to try breastfeeding. I knew very little about breastfeeding such as pumping every two-three hours to make sure your supply doesn’t drop. The staff also informed me that I could get a free breast pump through insurance, and I never knew that. Shannon was a big help and went above and beyond to make sure I was prepared and knew all the basics about breastfeeding. My baby and I are five months into breastfeeding and trying to make it to a year. A big thank you to Shannon and the ladies at WIC for helping us with our breastfeeding experience.

"They later helped me go through the necessary steps to obtain Medicaid. They constantly go above and beyond to help me. 

"Medicine is not the only way they have been there for me. The emotional support is phenomenal!

"During a very traumatic time in my life, feeling as if a breakdown was near, I found myself walking into the Health Department. The nurses literally caught me as I was falling. Again, going above and beyond that helped me know it was going to be alright. I could go on and on but I’ll leave you with this . . . Use this agency and get to know the people within, your life will be richer because of it.

"To the health department of Cambridge, Ohio – 3 Gold Stars, a Blue Ribbon, and a huge THANK YOU!"

Aleigha Melton & Brayden Lamb, WIC participants

General Medical Clinic

One patient wrote, "Have you ever been aware of a priceless benefit that you want others to know about? As a single mother of two, I struggled in a lot of areas to meet my family’s needs. However, health care was not one of them due to our local Health Department. The staff, from the receptionist, nurses, and doctors, are a true blessing to myself and countless others I’ve referred there over the years. This facility has never sent me out the door discouraged or without answers to my questions.

"Our health department is a quiet treasure of this community that so many are unaware of. They are kind and professional and have hearts of gold. They never made me feel ‘less than’ because I was using a next to no cost-free facility. For several years I had no medical insurance. The health department worked to find companies that would give me medicine for my asthma. The medicine I needed to breath, live, and that I could afford.

Dr. Colby & General Medical patient, Joann McIntire

Immunization Clinic

Jenna Riggle wrote, "I went to the Cambridge Health Department for the first time when I worked for Farahay Family Dental several years ago. I have gotten my flu shot and all of my children’s vaccinations there ever since. We all enjoy our visits. Everyone is so friendly from Rhonda at the front desk to Tami in the clinic. We are fortunate to have a nice and convenient health department to service Cambridge."

The Riggle Family, Immunization clients

Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps (BCMH):

One BCMH client wrote, "I guess our story begins in October 2002, when our son was born with hearing loss. As new parents we really weren’t aware of all the services out there to help us. It was kind of learn as you go. Our son needed hearing aids and we didn't qualify for any help to pay for them. We had to pay for them ourselves, which was a lot of money for us as new parents. But you do what you have to for your kids. Finally we were introduced to the BCMH program.

"We had a BCMH nurse come and visit us and explain what BCMH could do to help us. Financially we didn’t qualify for anything else and it was nice to realize there was a program to help our son and us.

"We did all the paperwork required, and got accepted for BCMH. It has been the best thing for our son and us. BCMH has helped pay for his hearing aids, hearing aid batteries, and speech therapy. Our personal insurance won’t pay for any of this, so it was a huge help to have a program that helped our son get the services he needed. We have also been blessed with a wonderful BCMH nurse, Donna, who has gone above and beyond for us to get the services we have needed for our son. She is always a phone call away if we ever have questions or concerns. She is always there to help us and I never have to worry about getting anything we need.

"Today, our son is a sophomore in high school who gets straight A’s, plays sports and just recently got his driver’s license. Because of all the support and help from BCMH it has truly helped him and our family.

"A few years ago our daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis. She needed a back brace and other services. I knew I could call Donna and see if that was something BCMH would help us with. She said BCMH would be able to help our daughter as well.

"BCMH has helped pay for her back brace and other services that our personal insurance would not cover. We are truly blessed to have been introduced to the BCMH program years ago. This is a program I would definitely recommend to families who need help for their children. I just want to say thank you to our wonderful BCMH nurse Donna and the BCMH program for all your help over the years."

Reproductive Health and Wellness Clinic

Jeanette Fetty wrote, "On June 26th, 2018, I was diagnosed with breast cancer after completing a mammogram ordered by the Guernsey County Health Department. I went through surgery with Dr. Leslie Clark and radiation treatment through the cancer cen- ter in Cambridge, Ohio. All the staff throughout this process were outstanding, compassionate, caring, and friendly! They made me feel at home. Thanks to all of you!"

RHW patient Jeanette Fetty

The Cambridge-Guernsey County Health Department, 326 Highland Ave., Cambridge, iso pen Monday 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Tuesday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Among the programs and services offered are:

• Birth and death certificates from vital statistics.

• Environmental health services such as permits, food service classes, RFE/FSO inspections, and rabies investigations.

• Health education is available and our sanitarians, nurses, and health educator speak in various community settings.

• General medical clinic is offered to those without a primary care provider.

• Reproductive health and wellness clinic offers health exams to both men and women. The department also links eligible individuals to no cost breast and cervical cancer screenings.

• Immunizations are provided on a walk in basis from 2-5 p.m. on Monday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Fridays.

• BCMH links families of children with special health care needs to a network of quality providers and helps families obtain payment for the services their children need.

• WIC provides eligible women, infants and children with a nutrition program as well as health screenings, nutrition and breastfeeding counseling, immunization screening, and much more.

• A maternal health case manager provides education and referrals to services for pregnant and recently delivered women with substance use disorders.

To learn more about services offered at the Cambridge-Guernsey County Health Department, call 740-439-3577 or visit the website at www.guernseycountyhealthdepartment.org.



https://ift.tt/2OEI652

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Силы специальных операций будут выполнять задачи как за ...

Providence says it offered to manage API before state awarded no-bid contract to Wellpath - Anchorage Daily News